A community oriented, volunteer fire department In the heart of California's Central Valley
The Denair Fire Protection District (the District) was established by order of the Stanislaus County Board of Supervisors on August 4, 1959. Operations are conducted under provisions of the Fire Protection District Law of 1961, Health and Safety Code 13801-13999. Stanislaus County appoints the District’s five member Board of Commissioners, who have responsibility for the District’s financial management operations. The District also submits its annual budget to the County.
The District provides fire protection, paramedic, emergency, and rescue services to the Denair community and surrounding rural, and agricultural areas. Such services are provided by volunteers of the Denair Volunteer Fire Department.
The Denair Fire Protection District is located east of the City of Turlock and includes the unincorporated community of Denair. A small westerly portion of the District is within of the City of Turlock’s Sphere of Influence. District boundaries extend south to the Stanislaus-Merced County line. The District is adjacent to the Turlock Rural, Keyes, Stanislaus Consolidated, and Hughson Fire Protection Districts.
Newest vehicle in the fleet, No. 84 is a fantastic vehicle.
The workhorse of the fleet, its been around for a while.
On May 6, 1942 Mr. Morrow from the Stanislaus County Farm Mutual Insurance Company visited a group of 24 men to discuss establishing a fire department in the town of Denair. Mr. Morrow informed those in attendance that on March 25, 1942 the Stanislaus County Farm Mutual Insurance Company ordered seven fire engines from the Van Pelt Organization in Oakdale California to establish departments throughout Stanislaus County. Of those seven, the Denair Fire Department was offered the very first engine. It was decided by those in attendance to join the program and to establish a fire department. The founding Board of Directors were nominated and put into place that night as well. The founding Board of Directors were: Dave Holvick, Don Scott, Lew Burwell, Hubert Downie, Charles Pratt, Joe Domecq, and Guy Brown. It was also discussed and decided upon to build the first station.
On June 17, 1942 at 2:30pm, the first engine was delivered to the Denair Fire Department on the corner of Alameda Ave and Elm St. Accepting the engine on behalf of the Denair Fire Department was the first Fire Chief, Don Scott. This engine carried 650 feet of hose, 350 gallons of water, and had a pumping capacity of 350 gallons per minute. This engine, designated Engine 1215, can still be seen in parades and special events being attended by the Denair Fire Department.